Recommendation One – Accelerate Innovation and Customer Management of Energy
Electricity regulations were developed in a different era. Increasing consumer management of energy and grid modernization are blurring traditional distinctions between utilities, the grid and the customer. By 2050, if not much earlier, there is potential to be operating an electricity system in which electric vehicles, energy efficiency, integrated renewables, and energy storage are all in a constant state of dynamic, demand-supply interaction, tailored to the preferences of households and individual customers. Vision 2050 recommends accelerating this transformative innovation and customization.
- Maintain national research, development and deployment (RD&D) funding via Sustainable Development Technology Canada (SDTC)
- Revise policies, laws and regulations to facilitate two-way electricity flows, microgeneration, emerging forms of generation and flexible demand response
- Support knowledge sharing, collaboration, and customer-funded innovations related to energy efficiency, low carbon electricity, energy storage and electric vehicles
- Revise policies, laws and regulations to facilitate two-way electron flows, microgeneration, emerging forms of generation and flexible demand response
Regulators and System Operators
- Support integration of pilots in electricity customization
- Provide oversight and criteria for evaluation of customer benefits from innovative investments
- Advise governments on regulatory changes needed to facilitate two-way electron flows, micro-generation, emerging forms of generation and flexible demand response
- Assess cost-benefits of grid modernization programs; start with pilots
- Introduce customized cost-saving options for customers through reduced electricity use
- Form industry consortia focused on innovation that can pool customer funding from across jurisdictions and enable collaboration
- Facilitate two-way electron flows, micro-generation, emerging forms of generation and flexible demand response
Read more about Vision 2050’s recommendations in the full report. Download Vision 2050.