Seven Sisters Generating Station
Seven Sisters Generating Station is Manitoba Hydro’s largest producer of electricity on the Winnipeg River. Located about 90km northeast of the City of Winnipeg, it is fondly and respectfully described by engineers who designed and built it as the river’s mightiest generating station. Seven Sisters, which is about 73km from Lake Winnipeg, was built in two stages. The first stage, begun in July 1929, featured the construction of a powerhouse. When completed in August 1931, it housed the first three of six turbine generators (called units) which produced a total of 75MW. Stage two began later, in 1948, three years after World War II had ended. In 1952, the sixth and final unit was placed in service. These additional units doubled in generating the station’s total megawatt production.